Saturday, June 25, 2011

You have to live with choices

Today I made the conscience decision to wear blue underwear.  Why? Well, because I liked the powder blue color and because they were clean.  I also made the choice to eat some Cookie Crisp Cereal - a correctly measured portion of cereal for those that are wondering if I fell off the weight lose wagon.  I have lost 40 pounds over the past 2 1/2 months all based on the choices to eat better and to actually workout.

Choices surround us on a daily basis and most are of no more significance than ensuring that I have a underwear on for the day - Mom's always want you to have on clean underwear if you were to ever get into an accident; I do not know why but that is important to Moms - or to make sure that the belly stops growling in the morning.  But there are some choices that leave a lasting mark on our lives and on the lives of others.  Who you marry or date, what you do for a living or where you studied in college are all choices that can have a major impact on the rest of you life.

I recently was struck by the fact that choices can often have painful consequences on not just one persons life but have a far reaching effect on many people.  I will not tell you about the person or the situation that I am referring to because I wish to respect their privacy, and they are the ones that have to live with those decisions.  I will tell you that in this one situation, two people were faced with the same problem but responded in vastly different ways.

For one person, they chose to meet the challenge and conquer the statistics that faced them.  In one of the ultimate turn lemons into lemonade stories I have see in my life, the choices that were made in the midst of a very confusing, life-altering situation have led to this young lady being an inspiration and example of what good choices can lead to.  As she continues to defy the odds by shear will and determination, I know that she will go on to be successful.

On the other hand, the other person has made choices that have alienated them from every person that was important to them.  I have watched as they have tried to fill the void left from the choices to walk away from everyone and everything, but it is painfully obvious that they are just hiding from life.  They have put on a face that everything is peachy, but holistically they are in a tail spin based on the choices they have made.

The point here is that our choices are not always as insignificant as blue or green underpants, Cheerios or Cookie Crisp.  Often, life altering choices need to be made in the heat of the moment.  I can't tell you what choices to make, but just know that if you only base those choices on what you want like a selfish child, you will most likely end up pushing (or running) away from those that love and care for you and want to help you.

Make good choices, based not on the impact on you, but based on the impact on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment