Sunday, April 24, 2011

Saving Private.......

Most of you will say Ryan.  While Tom Hanks and Matt Damon were great in that movie, I want to think of things a little differently in light of the importance of this day.

At the end of the movie "Saving Private Ryan", a much older Private Ryan stands over the grave of one of the men that was sent to save his life.  He asks his wife if the life that he lived was worthy of the cost.  He was deeply concerned that he honored the men that paid the ultimate price with the life that he lived.

As I was studying for the Sunday School lesson this week, I was reading about the final day of the life of Christ and of his resurrection.  As I was reading through Matthew 27, I was struck with the high price that was paid for my (and your) life.  Christ gave up everything, suffered the ultimate humiliation, and became the chief of sinners just so that I could be forgiven of my sins and have the gift of eternal life.  I then began to wonder if I was living a life that honored the price that was paid.  I am by no means a perfect person, but do my choices, attitude, motivations reflect that I was purchased at the highest cost.  I believe that part of the message of Easter is that because Christ has been risen, as followers of Christ (and those of you that are reading this blog that are not Christians - I encourage you to start that journey) we need to live in a manner that is worthy of the price.

I hope that you had a great Easter holiday and got to spend some time with your family and friends, but I don't want the fact that Christ died and rose again for YOU to be lost in the midst of bunnies and candy.

Live a life that is worthy of the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment